Monday, May 2, 2011

DIY: Yarn Wreath

While browsing my Google Reader blogs I saw this amazing tutorial for yarn wreaths.  It seemed so simple and the finished product was super cute!  So, I thought I would make one of my own.  You can see the original post that I got the idea from....here.  I LOVED how mine turned out, and I thought I would post a little tutorial of my own with the pictures I took along the way.  I hope you like it and want to try your hand at making one...it only took a couple of hours because I have kids who want to see and "help" some.....slowed me down a little! lol~

The supplies you will need:
Styrofoam ring...there are different sizes...I chose a med. one.
A skein of yarn
felt
ribbon
scissors
hot glue gun


Start wrapping your yarn around the foam.  This takes a while because you have to pick up your ball of yarn and put it back through the center of the ring each and every wrap you make!

 It's finished!!  Connor decided to help me show it off.  You will want to tie your yarn around the ring when you start and when you are finished. 

Next, the felt flowers.  Start by drawing a circle on your felt...the bigger the circle the bigger the flower!  Cut out your circle.

Next, cut your circle in a circle until you reach the middle....leave a little round piece that will be your bottom on your flower where you can put your hot glue to keep it all together.

Start wrapping your circle from the outside inward...the tighter you wrap the more tight and uniform your flowers will be.  I kept mine a little looser as I got towards the outside of the flower so that it would look a little more natural.  Then hot glue the bottom of your flower with the last little bit of the circle that you have left.  It stays nicely!

 All my little flowers....aren't they cute? :)

Arrange them on your yarn covered wreath any way you like and hot glue them on.

I love how it turned out....brown and blue are two of my favorite colors to put together right now.


4 comments:

Becky said...

Nice! You should link up at Skip to My Lou. www.skiptomylou.org

~MoM~ said...

That is cute Lisa! Finding some hidden talents in there or just exercising those that you've been hiding for a while! Love the wreath! That would make a nice "Mother's Day" gift. ~hint~

Mom said...

Just had to say.....I got my wreath for Mother's Day! Thank you Lisa. I love it!

Carole Morris said...

Oh I love it! Your wreath looks so cute! I wish I had taken the time to make cute little rosettes but I was feeling lazy when I made mine. However I am bookmarking yours as a reference for a future wreath!

http://thejubileecircus.blogspot.com

**I'm a new follower!**