Thursday, August 4, 2011

Asian Chicken Salad

There are no two ways about it...this salad is just plain old  - Yum-O!  So delicious!  My mother-in-law made this for us a couple of Summer's ago while we were there visiting, and we couldn't get enough of it.  She even packed up a big bowl of left overs for us to take back with us.  The trip from my in-law's house to ours is only 4 hours, but we couldn't manage it without digging into it on the way home.  We didn't even have a fork to eat it with...so we dumped it into cups that we had and poured it into our salivating mouths...lol~!  Not a pretty sight, but boy was it Good!!  I made sure I had the recipe in my possession on the way home...I knew it was going to be one of those go-to recipes that we would make often.  Especially in the Summer...it's just that good~!  I've made it a couple of times to take with us to church fellowships, and every time...I've had someone ask me for the recipe!  So here it is...written in stone for all to enjoy~!

Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breast (I use pre-cooked packaged chicken strips for convenience), Chopped
1 to 2 bags of coleslaw mix, depending on how much cabbage you like.  I use 1 1/2 bags.
1 cup chopped green onions
2/3 to 1 cup oil.  I use close to 2/3 cup, because I don't like using all that oil!
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar
3 packages of Ramen noodles (2 chicken, 1 Oriental flavor)
1 cup slivered almonds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds or sunflower seeds





Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, mix the oil, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and 3 seasoning packets from the Ramen noodles.  Set aside in the refrigerator.


2. Brake up the Ramen noodles and put them in a cookie sheet along with the almonds and sunflower/sesame seeds.  Stir them around and put them into a pre-heated 350 degree oven until they start to turn a nice golden brown.  Maybe around 20 min. with a watchful eye and some stirring around a bit. 


3. Take out the noodle and nut mixture from the oven and let cool a little.


4. In a large bowl mix the bag of coleslaw, cut up chicken, and green onions.



5. Pour the dressing mixture over that, then add the noodles and nuts.  Stir really well, cover, and place in the refrigerator.  This is good right away, but super good after it has had a chance for the dressing to marinate all the flavors together and soften the noodles up! 


ENJOY!

Linking up at:
Somewhat Simple
Thetootsiewootsie
Cast Party Wednesday

7 comments:

Nicole@MissMommy said...

Are you getting sick of me commenting on every post yet?!?!. I make a similar salad to this but without the chicken. Adding the chicken however, is brilliant!!!!.

Can I come over for dinner?

Lacee said...

WOW this looks SO tasty!! I am definitely going to give this a try!!

Janet said...

Looks good and easy to make too! Thanks for the recipe. :)

KW said...

That looks scrumptious! Thank you for the sweet note you left on my headband entry. I have two-year-old boys and they love to roar at me when I am wearing my dinosaurs. :-) Take care!

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

New follower to your blog from Thursday blog hop. Come follow me at www.the-mommyhood-chronicles.com. Twitter: @dentistmel

Kim said...

That looks so good! My dad was just talking about how he uses Ramen noodles in different dishes too, I had never really thought of it. :-)

sheryl said...

Thanks so much for sharing your recipes with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow for another party filled with GREAT RECIPES!
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!