Thursday, January 19, 2012

Health and Wellness (Beating Belly Bloat)

I've been doing some research this week on the dreaded Belly Bloat!!  I wanted to figure out how to beat it, because if you're like me...you hate to feel bloated!  
Here are a few things I found very helpful and informative this week:

1. Say No To Salt! 
~ Avoid salt and foods packed with sodium...especially processed foods that have enormous amounts of added salt.  So put down the salt shaker because when you take in higher than usual amounts of salt...you will temporarily retain more fluid which will make you feel tired, sluggish and puffy.  Who wants to be carrying around all that extra water weight?? Not me!

2. Avoid Carbonated Beverages!
~It's best to stick with good ole' water so that you don't fill your belly up with unwanted bubbles.

3. Steer Clear Of Certain Foods
~I read that eating beans (legumes), cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, onions, peppers, and citrus fruits can all create gas that builds up in your stomach and cause the belly bloating to begin!

4. Say No To Sugar Alcohols
Sugar alcohols, for the most part, are not absorbed by your GI Tract (digestive system)...this can cause bloating and other gastric distress.  Sugar alcohols can be found in sugar substitutes, low-calorie, low-carb, and sugar-free foods!

5. Drink Up.....Water!
Drinking lots of water helps you stay hydrated!  Cut down on coffee, tea, hot cocoa, acidic fruit juices, and alcohol if you want to beat the belly bloat because these drinks can cause swelling and irritation of your digestive system.

I also found a recipe for a "Belly Soother" called Sassy Water.  I haven't tried it out yet because I haven't been to the store to get the ingredients, but I thought I would share the link here on my blog...so that you can give it a try this week also.  

So this past week...I made it to the gym THREE times.  It could have been more, but it is what it is!  
Each time I did cardio as well as weights and stretching.  
I am also happy to report that I DIDN'T eat Wheat at all.
I cut all sugar, except what is naturally found in a few foods.
I'm not sure if I drank 8 glasses of water a day, but if not...I came pretty close!
I haven't missed one day of the Daily Detox pills that I am doing...(1 week left on that).
I lost {1} pound this week...yeah, I was hoping for more, but it will come if I just stick with it!
So, right now I'm feeling pretty good! :)  

Let's get out there and get our bodies moving, and make healthy, right choices with the foods we put in them!
How Did Your Week Go?
  
Linking up @



day2day joys

6 comments:

Lacee Griffith Mommas Like Me Blog said...

This is such a great post Lisa! I hate feeling bloated. I haven't done very well this week with going to the gym since Carter was sick, hubbs was gone and then I got sick but I've tried to keep my eating on track as best I can. But last time I weighed myself I had lost 2 lbs! 1 a week! I'll take it :) Thanks for the motivation!

Lacee Griffith Mommas Like Me Blog said...

Oh and thank you for joining the blog hop! Can't remember if I already told you that or not...mommy brain haha ;)

the Momma Bird said...

Love it!!! That's awesome! I'm going to have to try that sassy water. It looks yummy!!
I need to cut back on my salt intake - I never really thought about it so thanks!! :) Keep up your hard work :)

Latoya @ The Scott's Crib said...

You had an awesome week! Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up:) I am now following, can't wait to read more about your progress.

Joni said...

i have tried sassy water and it is pretty good. hope you enjoy it as much as i do. it has claims to suppress your appetite but i didn't really notice that. definitely a great way to increase your water intake without having to drink plain ol' water.

Kim said...

I just about cried when I read those facts...my beloved pop! ;-) And also, I've been eating a lot of beans lately. They are pretty prevalent in the "healthy" recipes that we've been making because they have so much protein. But I never thought about them contributing to belly bloat so that's pretty interesting. So happy for you that are in the zone right now, doing everything you are supposed to be. I'm sure the pounds will just keep coming off! Thanks for linking up!