Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter Vegetable Soup

We eat a lot of soups around our house and I am constantly looking for new ones to try.  I have been looking up Gluten-Free, and Dairy-Free soups lately and I came across this one last week.  The original recipe can be found ((here)).  This is definitely one of those comfort food soups.  It warms you all up inside and makes you smile! Ok, I don't know about the smiling part, but I sure was!  


So here is what you are going to need to make this delicious, and Healthy soup:
*1 large onion, chopped
*1 tablespoon olive oil
*3 cloves of minced garlic (I used the kind in the jar)
*6 cups chicken broth (48oz. carton)
*4 medium carrots (about 1 1/2 cups)
*2 stalks celery, chopped
*3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
*2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
*1 teaspoon dried whole rosemary
*1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
*1 bay leaf
*salt and pepper to taste
*1 pound ground turkey, chicken, or sausage (I used turkey), optional


1. Prepare your vegetables, set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat the oil and add the onion, cooking until tender and translucent. 
3. Add the minced garlic and cook one minute more.  


4. Pour in the chicken broth and heat to boiling.  
5. Add the remaining vegetables and spices to the pot.
6. Return to a boil and reduce heat to simmering for 20 min. or until vegetables are tender.


7. Meanwhile, cook the ground turkey meat and drain.


8. When the vegetables are cooked and ready, remove the pot from heat and puree with a hand blender.  If you do not have a hand blender you can (carefully) use a stand blender and puree the soup in batches. 


9. Lastly, add the ground turkey and stir it in....salt and pepper to taste and you are good to go!


I added a little Parmesan cheese to the top of my soup.  So good and I'm glad we have left overs today to eat!  My husband and 6 year old loved it as well.

Linking up with:




A Little Knick Knack

3 comments:

Salena @ A Little Piece of Me said...

This looks really good! It's been cold here too so this sounds really yummy and warm. Thanks for sharing. Once I replace all the spices that I ran out of I shall try this one day. :)

Michelle @ The Willing Cook said...

This looks great! I'll have to put it on my to-cook list. Thanks for sharing it at The Willing Cook-a-Long.

~Mom~ said...

Looks really good! You have such patience when it comes to cooking. Can you do this in the crockpot? lol