Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Don't let the name of this recipe fool you...this is one good pizza.  Especially for those who need Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free or are on a low-carb diet!  I had been seeing this recipe a few times and finally decided to give it a try last month.  It really turned out great.  The crust is not really the kind you can pick up so you have to eat it with a fork, but the taste is amazing!  It's like I was enjoying a real slice of pizza!  Cauliflower is one of those veggies that takes on the flavor of what you put with it really well.  You can't actually "taste" the cauliflower after the pizza is made.  So let's get cookin'...I documented the many steps in picture form to show you what it's supposed to look like during the process! :)  Shall we???

What you will need:
1/2 large head of cauliflower (1 whole makes 2 to 3 pizzas) ~Equivalent to 1 1/2 cups grated
1 large egg (UPDATE: I now use 2 large eggs..seems even better)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (fresh or dried)
1/2 teaspoon onion salt or a combo of onion powder and salt
(Plus):
Your favorite pizza toppings!!

{One} Grate your cauliflower into a glass bowl...1 1/2 cups.

{Two} Pop it into the microwave and cook on high for 8 minutes.

{Three} Meanwhile, gather your other ingredients 
~ This pic shows the ingredients used in regular (Dairy) pizza crust.

~This pic shows the Daiya Vegan cheese we used to make the dairy free crust version 
(It works really well, by the way~!)

{Four} After the cauliflower has cooled off a little bit, add the egg, 1 cup cheese, and spices.
~Mix together well.

{Five} Spray a pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray and press the mixture into it.  
I used a 9" round cake pan.
(This crust is made with Daiya Vegan Cheese)

{Six}Bake your crust in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.
(This is the fully cooked Daiya Vegan cheese crust)

(This shows the regular crust made with Mozzarella cheese)

{Seven} Gather your toppings and proceed to put whatever your little heart desires on a pizza.  
We used pizza sauce, Gluten-Free&Dairyfree pepperoni, the different cheeses, mushrooms, avocado, Hormel pepperoni, and Jalapeno Slices.

{Eight} Set your oven to broil 475 to 500 degrees and bake another 10 min. or until cheese is melted.
(This is my husband's gluten-free, dairy-free pizza.  He doesn't care for a lot of the vegan cheese on top, but it really works great in the crust. *Shhh...he ate every bit of his pizza*

And last but not least, this is my pizza loaded with lots of mozzarella cheese, avocado, pepperoni, jalapeno peppers, and sauce!  

Enjoy!  This pizza is just as good if not better the next day.  I ate half of mine and saved the rest for the next day.  I reheated in a 450 degree oven for approx. 10 min...and the crust was a little firmer so that I could actually pick it up if I wanted instead of use a fork to eat it with.  

So if your watching your carbs or have a food allergy to Gluten or Dairy...your are going to love this pizza!

Linking up with:
Gluten-Free Wednesdays

6 comments:

Tessa Domestic Diva said...

I have to try this! I love sneaking veg in to my family wherever I can, and pizza is always a good venue...awesome! thanks for sharing on AFW!

Salena @ A Little Piece of Me said...

This looks so good!!

Anonymous said...

Seriously SO good!!! And I'm from Chicago, pizza capital of the world. My husband was eating this faster than I could make it. 6 year old LOVED it!! Thank you!!!

Katie said...

i should try this!! i'd be slightly skeptical but it looks good! : ) i just love my bread/crust! : )

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome, Lisa! Where did you find that Daiya cheese?

Lisa @ Organized Chaos said...

I usually buy the Daiya Vegan Cheese at Whole Foods. I've gotten it when it was on sale and bought a few and put the extra ones in the freezer.