Sunday, February 5, 2012

Recipe: Creamy Rice and Potato Soup

I am always looking for a great tasting soup that meets all of our "Food Allergy" needs.  This soup was definitely a winner!  It's dairy-free, gluten-free, and nut-free!  It has a nice and creamy texture and just the right amount of ingredients rounding out a nice fresh flavor!  So I wanted to share the goodness with you...!  Especially if you are looking for a flavorful, allergy-free soup.


Creamy Rice and Potato Soup

Ingredients
4 cloves minced garlic (I used the jarred kind)
3 small carrots, sliced
2 large celery stalks, diced
1/4 cup dairy-free butter (I used the Smart Balance brand)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
8 cups chicken broth
3 cups rice, already cooked (I used the frozen steamer bag and pre-made it in the microwave)
1-2 cups potatoes, diced and precooked separately
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
pinch of rosemary
1 cup rice milk

Directions
1. In a large saucepan, saute the garlic, carrot and celery in butter until tender. 
2.Stir in flour until blended.  It will be powdery.  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes while stirring it.
3. Gradually add in chicken broth, stirring continually.
4.Stir in rice, potatoes, salt, pepper and rosemary
5. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
6. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes until thickened
7.  Stir in the rice milk and cook 2-3 minutes more.

~Enjoy~
Linking up with:
Gluten Free pantry

4 comments:

Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) said...

Looks delicious! I'm DF so your "creamy" description totally grabbed my attention! Thanks!
(here from allergy-free wed)

Nancy @Real Food, Allergy Free said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe at allergy-free wednesdays! I love potato soup and this one looks like a keeper.

Gluten Free & Loving It said...

That looks good. Now I'm hungry. I think I might actually have everything on hand to make it.

Laura said...

Ahh this soup sounds likes the perfect winter soup for a cold February night. I am going to make this soup this week as I have all the ingredients!