Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fudge Pudding Cake ~ A Favorite

I have been making this recipe since 2008 when I first got the Amish Friends Cookbook.  I remember being so excited that this was a recipe that was "normal", but also easily allergy-free for my son.  So I'm sharing the recipe on my blog and hope that others will like it as much as we do!


I've always had a fascination with the Amish way of life.  I've enjoyed reading novels in that setting and cooking using Amish tried and true recipes.  Here's a picture of my favorite Amish cookbook!


Fudge Pudding Cake
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoon cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (I used rice milk)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar (I used 3/4 of a cup)
1/4 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cups HOT tap water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a greased 9-inch square pan (I used a glass 2qt round dish).  Stir in milk, oil and vanilla until smooth.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa.  Pour hot tap water over batter.  Bake for 40 to 45 min.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if desired. 

(recipe from: Rachel Ann Stoltzfus ~ Gap, PA)

This is what it will look like right before going into the oven.

And this is what it should look like when it come out...all cake like on the top with a thick layer of chocolate pudding underneath!



Enjoy!

Linking up this recipe with:

3 comments:

Elida Vom Baur said...

Hi, thanks for the Fudge Pudding Cake recipe, I am looking forward to try it...but not sure the amount of hot water?? it reads 1 3/4 tap hot water. is it 1 3/4 cup hot tap water?

Elida Vom Baur

Lisa @ Organized Chaos said...

@Elida ~ Yes, it is 1 3/4 cups of Hot Tap water....thanks for letting me know, I made the correction in the post. I hope you try it and enjoy!~
~Lisa @ Organized Chaos

Stephy Marie said...

Stopping by from the 3 Four and Under blog hop!
Just got into baking a little and can't WAAAIT to try this out.
Love,
Your Newest Follower :)